1.5kg of chicken thighs (bone in)
1 large onion
2 cloves of garlic
1.5cm piece of ginger
Â½ teaspoon turmeric
Â½ teaspoon ground pepper
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt
3 strips lemon rind or 3 Kaffir lime leaves
1 x 400ml can coconut cream (We prefer Samoan)
1 cup water
2 teaspoons soft brown sugar (I use light brown muscovado)
- Wash the chicken under cold water and pat dry. Trim off excess fat.
- Roughly chop the onion, garlic and ginger and place in food processor. Process until smooth, adding a little water, if necessary.
- Place the chicken, onion mixture and remaining ingredients in a large pan and bring slowly to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from pan, and place on cold oven tray.
- Discard lemon rind/Kaffir leaves and bring sauce to the boil. Cook uncovered until sauce reduces and is quite thick.
- Brown the chicken thighs on both sides under grill.
- Serve chicken pieces and sauce with rice and garnish with fresh coriander.