350 grams split red lentils (organic ones are the yummiest)
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
Â½ teaspoon chilli powder
1cm piece root ginger
2 cloves garlic
Â½ teaspoon garam masala
1 Tablespoon butter
Pinch of ground cumin
1 small onion
- Rinse lentils under cold running water and drain.
- Put the lentils into a saucepan and cover with 4-5 cups of boiling water.
- Add the turmeric and chilli powder and bring to the boil.
- Peel and cut the ginger into thin slices and crush garlic. Add both to the pan.
- Cover the saucepan and simmer gently for 10 minutes until the lentils are soft and nearly all of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the garam masala and salt to taste.
- Cook uncovered for a further 5 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile heat the butter and cumin in a small frying pan. Add diced onion and fry gently until soft.
- Stir the onion into the dhal and serve with curry and rice.