Lekker beskuit vir almal om te proe!
Only healthy if you use light margarine not butter and grape seed oil!
Oven on 180Â°C
Add below together:
- Self-raising Flour, 1kg
- Digestive Bran, 5 cups (Wheat Bran)
- Salt, 7ml
- Sunflower seeds, 2 cups – toasted slowly in pan before use
- Pecan nuts ( and/or walnuts) , 1 cupÂ heaped – crushed a bit or a lot whatever you like
Melt below together:
- Butter or Sunshine Light Margarine (also good to mix the two), 500g
- Brown Sugar (sticky dark type makes less sweet i.e. Chelsea Dark Cane Sugar), 2 cups
Then add and mix:
- Olive Oil, Â½ cup (I mix grape seed and olive oil)
- Buttermilk, 500ml
Add all the above ingredients together.
Push into baking tray.Â I use two baking trays and have it only about 2cm height. It works well if you like more crispy flat beskuit. Slice carefully to desire beskuit size before you add to oven (use plastic tool on non-stick tins!). This makes it easier to cut once baked.
Bake for 40-45min on 180Â°C
Take out, cool and pack out on baking tray to dry. Fan bake on 100C for 4-5 hours (can leave the door ajar slightly if oven too hot). Take out when hard and dry.
Beskuit can be frozen – this works really well!