For the pudding you’ll need:
1Â½ cups Dates, pitted and chopped
1 tsp Baking Soda
150 mls Boiling Water
125 grams Butter
Â¾ cup Sugar
1 heaped cup Self Raising Flour
And for the sauce:
3 cups Soft Brown Sugar
75 grams Butter
300 mls Cream
1tsp Vanilla Essence
Making the pudding:
- In a bowl, sprinkle dates with baking soda, pour water over, stir and then stand for 10 – 15 minutes
- Cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time and beat until light and fluffy.
- Stir in flour, then date date mixture.
- Pour into a deep, well greased tin and bake at 190Â°C for 30 – 35 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Allow pudding to stand in the tin while you prepare the sauce.
Preparing the sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and stir over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour a bit of the sauce (approx. 4 tablespoons) over the cooked pudding and return it to the oven to soak in and bubble.
Serve a slice of the pudding with enough sauce to create the sea of caramel, and maybe a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped (or fresh) cream. Oh Yeaaah.
Enjoy. Try not to have seconds though 😉