September 12, 2011 by Dave
This was probably one of the first Chinese style dishes we used to make as kids growing up in rural New Zealand. I’m not sure how authentic it would be, though it was pretty exotic at the time. Anyway, I’m sure they have Watties Tomato Sauce in China – heck, it’s probably made there.
We normally have this as a party style finger food, but is also great as a meal with some home made egg fried rice and steamed bok-choy.
- 2 tbspÂ Brown Sugar
- 2 tbspÂ Liquid Honey
- 3 tbspÂ Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbspÂ Oyster Sauce
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Salt
- Mix all together and marinate chicken wings or pieces at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Bake in a hot oven (200Â°C) for approximately 25-30 minutes, basting frequently.
Category Finger Food, Recipes | Tags: Asian,Chicken,Chinese,Marinade,Nibbles | 1 Comment
August 15, 2011 by bambina
I used Chicken but it is supposed to be prawns.
- Lemon Grass
- Tomato Paste, heaped tsp
- Char-grilled Peppers, 4 small ones in jar
- Coriander, bunch
- Chilli, 1
- Garlic, 2 cloves
- Ginger, 2cm cube
- Kaffir Lime Leaves, 4
- Olive Oil, 2 tbsp
- Soy Sauce, 2 tbsp
- Fish Sauce, 1 tsp
- Sesame Oil, 1tsp
Add above in blender and mix well.
Brown chicken and then add paste.
- Sugar Snap Peas
- Coconut Milk
Add something green like frozen greens. Add coconut milk and simmer for a few minutes (not boiling)
Serve with cooked rice (Jamie did an awesome Jasmine rice with a Jasmine flower in) and cucumber salad.
- Ginger, 1-2cm chunk finely grated
- Sesame Oil, 1 tsp
- Olive Oil, 2 tsp
- Lime Juice, 1
- Lime Zest
- Soy Sauce, 1-2 tsp
Mix above and taste – change till just right
- Chilli, how brave are you?
- Cucumber – Sliced lengthways with potato peeler (excludes middle seeded area)
Add dressing to salad just before serving.
Category Mains, Recipes | Tags: Asian,Curry | 1 Comment
April 30, 2008 by Pam
1.5kg of chicken thighs (bone in)
1 large onion
2 cloves of garlic
1.5cm piece of ginger
Â½ teaspoon turmeric
Â½ teaspoon ground pepper
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt
3 strips lemon rind or 3 Kaffir lime leaves
1 x 400ml can coconut cream (We prefer Samoan)
1 cup water
2 teaspoons soft brown sugar (I use light brown muscovado)
- Wash the chicken under cold water and pat dry. Trim off excess fat.
- Roughly chop the onion, garlic and ginger and place in food processor. Process until smooth, adding a little water, if necessary.
- Place the chicken, onion mixture and remaining ingredients in a large pan and bring slowly to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from pan, and place on cold oven tray.
- Discard lemon rind/Kaffir leaves and bring sauce to the boil. Cook uncovered until sauce reduces and is quite thick.
- Brown the chicken thighs on both sides under grill.
- Serve chicken pieces and sauce with rice and garnish with fresh coriander.
Category Mains, Recipes | Tags: Asian,Chicken,Recipe | No Comments