Kindly provided by ohbaby.co.nzÂ from an archive (Thanks Kelly), this used to be published on one of their blogs (with an unknown author, please contact me) – it’s decidedly delicious, topped with a sprinkle of sugar and kaffir lime leaves which really sets itÂ off.
Makes: 2 large loaves
- Â½Â tin NestlÃ©Â Highlander Caramel
- 1 Â¼Â cups sugar
- Â½Â cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- About 4-5 bananas
- 1 Â½Â tsp vanilla essence
- 2Â Â½ cups regular flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- To garnish — 2 kaffir lime leaves, shredded thinly; 2 tbsp brown sugar
How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 220* fan-forced. Spray two large loaf tins with baking spray and line with cooking paper.
- Spoon 1/2 tin caramel into a small bowl and stir with a spoon until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, butter, eggs, bananas, vanilla essence, flour, baking soda, salt, and caramel. Use electric beaters set on medium-low and mix until everything is combined, but don’t beat too long (batter will be thick and lumpy).
- Spoon mixture into lined pans. If desired, sprinkle tops of loaves with shredded kaffir lime leaves and 1 tbsp each brown sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then check with a skewer. You may need to cover the tops of the loaves with foil to prevent further browning (they get very caramel-coloured very fast). Bake for a further 15-25 minutes if necessary, checking with skewer every 5-10 minutes to check for doneness. Loaves will be quite soft in the centre.
- When loaves are finished baking, remove from oven and immediately turn out onto a wire rack to prevent further cooking in tin.