June 6, 2009 by Pam
For all those who have been hounding me for it…
Here’s my ‘Now Famous’ Bean Salad recipe, it’s so easy to make.
You’ll need these ingredients…
310-400 gm can of beans (Either mixed or kidney, I use ‘Ceres’ organic mixed beans)
1/4 Red onion, Chopped
3 tablespoons olive olive
2 Tablespoons either Wine Vinegar or I use Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tablespoon of Sugar
1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of water or brine from beans
about 1 cup of chopped capsicum (I like red)
1/4 cup of chopped celery (optional)
This is what you do…
- Rinse Beans under cold water
- Mix onion, oil, vinegar, sugar, cumin,salt and /brine and mix with the beans.
- Stir in the Capsicum, Celery and finely chopped parsley and Chill.
The salad keeps really well in the fridge for a few days. Everybody I know loves it when I make this Salad, hope you enjoy it too.
Category Salads | Tags: Beans,Easy,Salad,Vegetarian | 1 Comment
May 6, 2008 by Pam
350 grams split red lentils (organic ones are the yummiest)
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
½ teaspoon chilli powder
1cm piece root ginger
2 cloves garlic
½ teaspoon garam masala
1 Tablespoon butter
Pinch of ground cumin
1 small onion
- Rinse lentils under cold running water and drain.
- Put the lentils into a saucepan and cover with 4-5 cups of boiling water.
- Add the turmeric and chilli powder and bring to the boil.
- Peel and cut the ginger into thin slices and crush garlic. Add both to the pan.
- Cover the saucepan and simmer gently for 10 minutes until the lentils are soft and nearly all of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the garam masala and salt to taste.
- Cook uncovered for a further 5 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile heat the butter and cumin in a small frying pan. Add diced onion and fry gently until soft.
- Stir the onion into the dhal and serve with curry and rice.
Category Recipes | Tags: Indian,Vegetarian | No Comments